THE RENAL UNIT OF ABUAD MULTISYSTEM HOSPITAL, ADO-EKITI, EKITI STATE
Presents: WORLD KIDNEY DAY 2021
Date: 11th March, 2021
Theme: Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere - LIVING WELL WITH KIDNEY DISEASE
The World Kidney Day (WKD) is an annual global campaign aimed at increasing awareness of the importance of the kidneys . All over the world, public screening, public lectures focussing on risk factors, harmful behaviours and how to live with kidney disease are undertaken to improve awareness of kidney disease .
Objectives of World Kidney Day 
- To increase awareness of the importance of the kidneys to general well-being. Also, to emphasize that hypertension and diabetes are common causes of kidney disease.
- To encourage systematic screening of patients with hypertension and diabetes for CKD
- To encourage health-enhancing and disease-preventive behaviours
- To educate medical professionals in early diagnosis of CKD
- To stress the importance of Local, State and National Health Authorities in controlling CKD epidemics.
- To encourage kidney transplantation as a best-outcome treatment option for kidney failure, and the act of kidney donation as a live-saving initiative.
It is estimated that about 10% of the world population have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD); more than 2 million people are either being treated with dialysis or kidney transplant 
The theme of the WKD 2021 is “Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere - Living well with kidney disease” . It is a clear opportunity to educate everyone that kidney disease is not synonymous with death sentence. It is an avenue to give hope to the people living with kidney disease and to provide valuable information concerning treatment options for optimal care. The focus for this year’s WKD is to increase education and awareness about effective symptom management and patient empowerment.
Kindly join us in our highly educative and impactful programmes, including free screening at the ABUAD Multi-System Hospital and Iyin Ekiti.
DAY 1 (Sunday, 7th March 2021):
Mass at the Catholic ABUAD chapel 7am
Prayers at ABUAD Chapel 10am
awareness rally/Kidney Health Walk 2pm
DAY 2 (Monday, 8th March 2021):
Awareness campaign at the Oja Oba market and other strategic areas in Ado-Ekiti.
DAY 3 (Tuesday, 9th March 2021):
Community mobilization and screening (IYIN EKITI) 10am
DAY 4 (Wednesday, 10th March 2021):
Live broadcast at fresh FM 10am
Topic - LIVING WELL WITH KIDNEY DISEASE
- Home care of CKD patients
- Risk factors and symptoms of CKD
- Overview of Management of CKD including dialysis and kidney transplantation
Venue - Alfa Belgore Hall, ABUAD.
DAY 5 (Thursday 11th March 2021):
Free health screening at the MOPD 10am – 6pm
DAY 6 (Friday 12th March 2021):
AWARENESS campaign including Kidney Health talk at the Central Mosque Ado Ekiti
DAY 7 (Saturday13th March 2021):
Radio broadcast on Radio Nigeria 11:30-12pm
DAY 8 (Sunday 14th March 2021)
Thanksgiving at ABUAD chapel 10am
To live well with kidney disease, seek professional counsel from kidney experts!
- International Society of Nephrology. World Kidney Day. email@example.com. Accessed on the 5th March, 2021.
- International Society of Nephrology. World Kidney Day: all you need to know! firstname.lastname@example.org. Accessed on the 5th March, 2021.
Stephen O. Oguntola MBChB, FMCP, Cert Neph(SA), PhD(Wits), ISN fellow
Senior Lecturer / Consultant Nephrologist
Head of Nephrology
Afe Babalola University/ ABUAD Multi-System Hospital