Philosophy, Objectives, Vision and Mission - IRD
- PHILOSOPHY/ OBJECTIVES OF PROGRAMME
The study of International Relations and Diplomacy is essentially to understand the dynamics of interactions among the multiple actors in the international system as well as the conduct of peaceful relations in an attempt to realize national interests of actors interacting in the international system. Accordingly, students of the Programmeare exposed to perspectives, theories and practical subjects that equipped them with the required skills and worldview to function effectively in our globalized world. As a totality of human activities and a distinct field of academic study, International Relations and Diplomacy is an all-encompassing discipline that cuts across all human endeavours. Hence, the International Relations and Diplomacy Programmeaims to produce a crop of competent and confident graduates whose minds are well developed and who are academically sound in the field of International Relations and Diplomacy.The hallmark of the programmeis greatly influenced by the philosophy of labour, service, self-reliance, integrity and to train highly relevant manpower in every human endeavour, who can make meaningful contributions to the development of Nigeria, Africa and, indeed, the entire world.
To achieve the aforementioned, the programme is equipped with adequate lecturers for the realization of the following specific aims and objectives:
- To train a generation of students with competence and capacity in the field of International Relations and Diplomacy;
- To stimulate in students an appreciation of International Relations theories and other tools of analysis, and application in different contexts at the national and international levels;
- To provide students with a broad and balanced knowledge and practical skills in International Relations;
- To develop in students the ability to apply their International Relations theories, analytical tools, knowledge and skills to the solution of international problems;
- To develop in students a range of skills that are relevant to both governmental and non-governmental agencies at home and abroad;
- To train self-reliant graduates, who will become problem solvers nationally and internationally;
- To equip students with intellectual capacity for innovation and critical thinking for nation-building and national development
- To produce students who have the competences in fieldwork, data collection as well as ability to analyse and present these in coherent form;
- To provide students with relevant knowledge and skills for further studies in International Relations as a multi-disciplinary field of study;
- To generate in students an appreciation of the importance of International Relations in a national political, economic, and social development on the one hand and in the maintenance of global peace and security on the other.
- To inculcate in students the capacity of independent thought and methodology to solve problems in Nigeria, Africa and the world.
VISION AND MISSION
In accordance with the broader vision of the university, the international relations and diplomacy programme aims:
To be the leading center for the production of world class scholarship and practice in international relations and diplomacy.
To produce expert graduates of international relations and diplomacy able to succeed in diplomatic career, in academia and professions in administration, strategy and security and other fields.