Directorate of Sports
The following facilities are made available in the university:
(a) A pavilion with 1,000 spectators seat, four offices, medical room, call or official meeting room and a store. The pavilion also houses the football pitch and the university cinder track.
(b) There are four tennis courts, one multipurpose courts, two outdoor volleyball courts and two outdoor basketball courts on the sports complex
(c) The talent discovery center (TDC) houses indoor multipurpose courts for basketball, volleyball and badminton with 500 spectator seats. Other sports facilities in the TDC for athlete development include: ultra-modern fitness gym, spa and massaging center, game arcade for tactics simulation, table tennis foyer and training swimming pool.
ABUAD Directorate of Sports objectives
- Making sporting activities accessible to all students in the University.
- Establishing and preserving world standard sports records;
- Bridging the gap in between educational system and sports in the University;
- Establishing a world class standard sporting environment whereby the university can maintain a high level of sporting competition;
- Cooperating with other Universities, National Sports Associations, International Sports Associations etc., in promoting and contesting in national and international sporting events;
- Initiating sports scholarship programme for outstanding athletes among the students to boost students’ morale in appreciation of good performance;
- Ensuring that sportsmen and women are in good academic standing and are maintaining satisfactory progress in their various academic programme;
- Ensuring the safety, good care and good use of all sports equipment and facilities of the University;
- Organizing and supervising fitness activities for the university community;
- Promoting a sporting culture and good spirit of sportsmanship devoid of violence.
- Intercollegiate Sports Festival (ISF)
Intercollegiate Sports Festival (ISF) is to promote sports in ABUAD community and discover new talents in sports. This festival is an annual event will be on college base. Students represents their college to win medal and awards in various games. Awards are also given by the Provost of each colleges to motivate the participants in given their best during participation.
- Intramurals among Halls of Residence
Healthy competitions among Halls of Residence for the possession of Championship Trophies shall be encouraged.
- Yeye Aare Modupe Babalola Athletics Festival (YAMBAF)
Yeye Aare Modupe Babalola Athletics Festival is an annual athletics (Track and Field) events to honour our Mother Yeye Aare Modupe Babalola (The Wife of the Founder and CEO ABUAD Ventures) for her tremendous contribution to sports in the University community. The events is sponsored by the wife of the founder in which the overall winner of the event get a free ticket to Dubai.
- Convocation games:
An intercollegiate football matches and athletic events were staged to commemorate this year’s convocation. Some members of management staff and lecturers donated in cash to support the convocation games.
- Extramural Activities of the University
The University shall encourage her star athletes to participate in national (ESHIGA, NPUGA, NUGA etc.), international (WAUG, WUGA etc.) sporting events if and when they qualify. Opportunities shall be provided by the University to encourage her teams to participate in some selected sports skills with other universities both within and outside the country.
- University Sports League
Sporting activities is being promoted in various games as well through participation in various league events that is organized and managed by the Directorate of Sports. The event allow the student to take up leadership responsibility such as coaching, team management, club ownership and so on.
Past Events and Performance
- Second position in 2011 Ekiti State Higher Institution Games (Federal Polytechnic Ado)
- Second position in 2013 Nigeria Private Universities Games (Joseph Ayo Babalola University)
- Second position in 2015 Nigeria Private Universities Games (Afe Babalola University)
- First position in 2016 Ekiti State Higher Institution Games (ABUAD/Federal Polytechnic Ado)
- Second position in 2017 Nigeria Private Universities Games (Turkish-Nile University)
- First position in 2019 Ekiti State Higher Institution Games (ABUAD)
1. Europeans College of Sports Sciences
2. International Council Physical, Health Education Recreation, Sports and Dance (ICPHER-SD)
3. Nigeria Association of Sports Science and Medicine (NASSM)
4. Nigeria Institute of Marketing
5. Nigeria Society for Sports Management
6. Nigeria Universal Games Association (NUGA)
7. Nigeria Private Universities Games Association (NPUGA)
8. Nigeria Institute of Management
9. Nigeria Association of Physical Health Education Recreation Sport and Dance (NAPHER- SD)
10. Africa Sports Management Association (ASMA)
11.Ekiti State Higher Institution Games Association (SHIGA)
12. Nigeria Referees Association (NRA)
13. Nigeria Scrabble Federation (NSF)
14. Nigeria Table Federation (NTTF)
15. World Athletics (WA) formally known as (IAAF)
16. Nigeria Red Cross Society (NRCS)
17. Nigeria Master Athletics (NAM)
18. Athletics Coaches Association of Nigeria (ACAN)