AARE AFE BABALOLA SAN, THE LEGEND OF ALL TIMES: INIMITABLE MAN OF OUR CENTURY
OPEN LETTER BY ALAAFIN OF OYO (IKU BABA YEYE) PUBLISHED IN THE NIGERIAN TRIBUNE OF THURSDAY, 27 JUNE, 2019
- To say that Aare Afe Babalola has been foremost in using his resources and opportunities to touch the hearts of mankind in general and the underprivileged in particular is an understatement.
- The truth is that I cannot point to any other Nigerian citizen who has touched the heart of the average Nigerian without expecting any returns like Aare Afe Babalola, SAN. One summary that can be made of this extraordinary legal luminary is that he counts his own success in life not by his material wealth but by the number of people in whose faces he has put smiles one way or the other.
- Starting from his law firm, I am not aware of, or better still, I am not sure if there is any Law Firm in the country that has produced more Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SANs) than Afe Babalola’s. This can only be traced to the skill development initiative which had always remained unfettered to all those who are privileged to serve in the Afe Babalola Chambers.
- His concern for the development of education can be found in the, establishment of a private university, the famous Afe Babalola University, Ado – Ekiti (ABUAD). This University was not set up with the characteristic material motive but for restoration of the historic integrity to the values of education as was bestowed by the sage, Obafemi Awolowo in the Old Western Region.
- It is, therefore, little wonder that the University has been a model of excellence in all Departments and Faculties in all courses offered.
- A typical example of this excellence can be found in the hallmark feat achieved by the ABUAD Multi-System Hospital, especially in the open heart surgeries/interventions.
- This can further be buttressed by the testimony of the first cardiovascular patient in the person of the highly reputable international academic, Dr. Bukola Balogun, MD.
- With all sense of modesty, Aare Afe Babalola, SAN can best be described as a humanitarian asset, not only in Nigeria but to the entire black race and humanity in general. He is a perfectionist par excellence, no doubt.
- I pray that the Almighty God grant Aare Afe Babalola long life, good health and wisdom to continue to pilot the University to a remarkable height that would make the Aare Afe Babalola University, Ado – Ekiti (ABUAD) a beacon of pride not only in Africa but also in the comity of world-rated universities.